Big Spring calls for redemption against Middletown

Livy Fry, Reporter

Last year, the girls’ basketball team fell short in the first round of the Mid-penn playoffs to Middletown; this Friday will give the girls a chance for redemption as they open their season against the same Middletown team. The game last year was tight all the way, but Big Spring ended up losing by 9, knocking them out of play-offs and ending their season. According to the varsity coach Randy Jones, “The difference between this year’s team and last year’s team is that the team in the practice room is willing to work hard for each other instead of just working hard for themselves.” The real difference between the Big Spring and Middletown teams is that Middletown has a committed Division 1 point guard, Ja’lynn Burton-Jones,  spearheading their team. In last year’s contest, Burton-Jones along with returning player Bianca Jasper scored the majority of Middletown’s points. Jones said, “Not one of our players is going to be stopping one of theirs; it’s going to be a team effort. It’s going to take all 5 of us working as a unit.” Jones also compared this game to the West Perry game in 2013 where the Lady Bulldogs won to advance to the second round of play-offs for the first time in 10 years. Jones said “In the West Perry game, all 5 of the players had to fulfill their roles. No one was pointing fingers saying you have to stop this player or that player.” The Big Spring coach says that she plans on running a diamond press and playing gap defense to protect the drive from this fast team, “When one of their players catches the ball, they are going to have all 5 players surrounding them.”

Sophomore starter Megan Emlet will be the one in charge of guarding Burton-Jones on Friday, replacing Nicole Thuemmel who had this task last year. Emlet is Big Spring’s quickest defender, however, is also the smallest of all the starters and will have to be able to defend the post as well as the drive and shot from Burton-Jones. Emlet said, “I plan on shutting her down by not giving her open opportunities to the basket and making her feel uncomfortable with the ball by giving a lot of ball pressure. I’m just not going to give up and know that my team has my back.” Jones said, “I’m hoping for a great crowd on Friday. Both our boys’ and girls’ teams thrive off hard work and this will be evident under the Friday Night Lights this winter. We might not win every game but they will all be great games to watch.” The game on Friday will begin at 7 and the winner will advance to the championship round on Saturday at 3.