Penn State remains popular choice

Courtney Moul and Madana Tigyer, reporter

Living in the Susquehanna Valley makes it almost impossible not to run into someone wearing Penn State apparel. Even walking through the halls of the high school boasts this unique quality. The Pennsylvania State University seems to be a popular choice of post-secondary education among those who grow up in south central Pennsylvania, including those currently residing in the Big Spring School District.  

The most important aspect for most people when looking for a fitting college is academics. As a large campus with several branch campuses, Penn State strives to keep all locations academically enriching for students. Math teacher and Penn State alumna Wendy Hankes remembers her days at University Park to major in mathematics. “They have a really good math program and have lots of classes that really challenge you,” Hankes said. Similarly, nurse Carol Madden, Penn State Mont Alto alumna said, “Penn State academically was challenging.”

The courses that Penn State offers are a huge factor in what draws prospective students in. Future Penn Stater, Meredith Georgeff said, “I applied to Penn State because they offer great academics and opportunities in and after college.” Some of the most popular programs that Penn State offers are engineering, nursing, education, and business.

Not only are the academics up to par in the eyes of many, the overall atmosphere of the campuses are enticing. To balance out the rigor of the studies at Penn State, the school is also known for the high concentrate of activities that always seem to be happening. Hankes said, “When I wanted to do something fun or just to get exercise I would go into the indoor track and run, or go swimming in the pool when it was open.”

Current student at Penn State University Park, Big Spring alumnus Zachary Moul said, “From canning/fundraising weekends for THON, swim meets, or just relaxing and getting caught up on work, weekends are not lame.” High schoolers with a top choice of Penn State all share the excitement of immersing themselves in the one-of-a-kind Penn State culture. “I want to be a part of that community and also attend THON,” Georgeff said.

Penn State is comprised of 24 campuses, 23 of which are branches. Countless Big Spring alumni are currently attending a Penn State campus to get a professional degree. Teachers at the high school such as Christa Daugherty, SaraBeth Fulton, and Denise Mancuso have some sort of Penn State background as well.