Discipline at Big Spring High School

Natalia Darr, Reporter

Discipline has always played an important role in helping students get their acts together, but there is a lot both teachers and students don’t know about what goes on behind the scenes, and most are unaware that those disciplinary procedures continue into after school activities. Both before and after school, students who violate school policies will visit with Scott Penner, who is Big Spring High School’s Dean of Students.

He said, “First of all, I want to commend the student body’s support and behavior during our athletic events. The Student Section this year has been energized and an important part of our athletic programs.  I appreciate how you support each other. I also appreciate that for the most part you have presented yourself in ways that are characteristics of what it means to be a Bulldog. It is important that we support each other in a positive, respectful, and appropriate manner.”

Lauren Finkenbinder, freshmen, said “I think that overall Big Spring is very good at disciplining their students. I think compared to other schools we are very well behaved and I think that to ask us to be more well behaved is not needed.” 

Penner added, “With that said, I do want to remind you that it is important that you stay positive, respectful, and appropriate at all times when you are representing Big Spring.  That means at both our home courts/fields and also when we travel to our rival’s home. You are representing your fellow students, our student athletes and coaches, as well as the entire Big Spring community.  At no time is it acceptable to interact with the opposing team’s student body. Don’t engage in their taunting.  As a wise woman once said, when they go low, we go high.  Also, we fully expect you to cheer and get loud. We want you standing, and being a part of the game – making our house a place where we have a true advantage.  In doing so, don’t cross the line. There is absolutely no reason to personally attack (this includes verbally) an opposing player, coach, fan, or an official.  By all means, if someone shoots an air ball, we would expect that “Air Ball” is shouted all night when that athlete has the ball in their hands, but you should never use an opponent’s name in a contest.”

Ethan Dyarman, freshmen, said about discipline, “I think it’s good until it gets to self defense. Kids shouldn’t be punished for self defense.”