New school year brings new teachers

Kayleigh Walters and Emily Reifsnyder

It’s a new school year and a new environment for several teachers as Big Spring brings in a few new teachers to the high school.  

Biology teacher, Travis Barnes, is one of the new teachers here at the high school.  Barnes said, “So far I’ve enjoy teaching here, and it is different from the past. I like all of my classes that I teach this year. I started teaching because I first started in the field of sports medicine and worked with athletes but was more interested in teaching them.”  Before coming to Big Spring, he taught at two different schools in West Virginia and Virginia for 17 years.

Math teacher, Curtis Waltman, is also new to Big Spring and the high school.  Waltman is  getting to know the students at Big Spring.  He likes his classes because he enjoys teaching algebra.  Waltman wanted to start teaching because he was close to his high school teachers and wanted to give back.  As of now,  he has been teaching for eleven years before coming to Big Spring. Waltman spent those eleven years teaching at six different schools.  He attended high school at Garden Spot and went to VillaNova for his college education.

Learning support teacher, Cecilia Sosnoskie, is loving her time so far as she settles in to Big Spring.  Sosnoskie said, “ Big Spring is a really nice place. The students and staff are all nice.”

She wanted to start teaching because she liked her social studies teacher and wanted everyone to like social studies as much as her.  Before coming to Big Spring, Sosnoskie had taught at Northwestern academy for two and a half years.

Jenna Miller, is excited to teach her learning support class here at Big Spring. She was inspired to start teaching by the fact that she comes from a family of teachers, but now teaches because she loves it.  Miller is not only new to the district but somewhat new to teaching.  She has only been teaching a year at Dallastown before coming to Big Spring.  To get her teaching degree, Miller attended Lycoming College.  In her free time she enjoys coaching gymnastics.