Robot helps students learn from home

Kevin Brobst, Lauren Gipe, Morgan Barr, Patrick Corbosiero

Joey Alajlouni, Reporter

From touchscreen Think pads, new SmartBoards, to students on wheels, Big Spring High School is seeing the future. At the beginning of the the 2016-17 school year, students were introduced to a new way to learn for those students who may have to be out an extended period of time for serious health or family issues. Through a new robot pilot program with the name Double, students will still have the opportunity to learn very directly, rather than sending a teacher to the home. The robot is simply a Segway with an iPad attached to the top. It allows students to stay academically engaged, with full flexibility. This is much more simple and more effective than any other solution. This project was attempted with similar sites, like Skype and Face Time. Yet this seems to be the best option.

The idea was introduced by William Gillet. Gillet is the Director of Pupil Services and is very enthusiastic about this project. The biggest challenge Gillet is facing is the fact that the high school has three floors. Double can make it from class to class independently, but only if it is on the same floor. As a solution, a student can travel with the bot up and down the stairwells. This could be effective due to the lightweight material.

Double, also known as Sheldon around here, is easy to use and very cost effective. If the department of technology is pleased with the possibilities, Big Spring may begin to see Sheldon around the school.