Immigration ban hits home for students

Paige Snyder, Reporter

Many Americans are hesitant after President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Fri. Jan. 27, at the White House that restricts all immigration into the U.S. and bans immigration from 7 Muslim-majority countries in an attempt to keep the country safe.

Immigrants from the countries of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen are being denied entry into the United States for 90 days, and all other immigration is regulated. The effects of the ban are felt on a more personal level for a few students here at Big Spring. Vanessa Otero, a student that moved from El Salvador and attended school here last year said, “I am not in agreement; the president is affecting many people.” Other immigrant families in the district have an opinion on the ban like junior Kate Greene’s grandmother who emigrated from Cuba to America many years ago. “She still has family in Cuba,” Greene said. “Her family might not have a chance to come to America, and she thinks that is extremely unfair.” On a larger scale, the immigrant ban effects even more people than just the ones in the community.

Pennsylvania is one state that is trying to make a stand against the ban. According to NBC, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf and Philadelphia Representative Jim Kenney participated in protests at the John F. Kennedy Airport in Philadelphia. “These are people who have gone through all the hurdles and they have chosen to come and live with us here in Pennsylvania,” Wolf said. “And I say to them you are welcome here.”

Not only does the ban impact immigrant families in the district, but also the families of terrorist attacks, and those in the armed forces. Sami Meacock, a junior, has multiple uncles and a grandfather who have fought in the military for our country. “My family has risked their lives to protect this country, and I believe that the immigration ban could be a good way to reinforce that protection,” Meacock said. The immigration ban may trigger many different opinions, but either way, people in the Big Spring community, United States, and around the world are all impacted.