New athletic director no average “Joe”

Ishmael Kirkwood, Reporter

New athletic director and assistant principal, Joseph Sinkovich, is excited for an opportunity to be a bulldog stating it was a great idea to move here for the opportunities to get into different areas of athletics.

“Everybody had great things to say.” stated Sinkovich in talking about Big Spring High School.

Sinkovich had many other jobs previously, but he stated that Big Spring was by far the best. He was a football coach and taught 6th grade at Hamburg, and also was an assistant principal at Cedar Cliff High School.

“I think my biggest challenge here is to learn the job, acclimate to the culture of people, and become comfortable with how things are done.” Sinkovich has big hopes for the future at Big Spring, but there are some challenges that he has faced already.

“I couldn’t have done it without the amazing help of Coach Jones.” Randy Jones, ladies basketball coach and assistant to the athletic director, has good things to say about her new co-worker as well. “He’s an innovator. It’s been a great transition. He is so laid back and has, in my honest opinion, fit very well into this climate. He is open-minded and is a great listener and communicator.”

He also has good things to say about the administrative team. “They are super helpful. My first day here, they all made me feel like I was at home.”

Sinkovich also played sports in high school, and everybody can already guess, yes he played football. He was a starting middle linebacker and a running back. He also wrestled, played baseball, and was a sprinter on the track team. “I wasn’t nearly as fast as this one kid who ran a 10.6 in the 100 meter.”

His responsibilities to the school are to make sure that the curriculum is properly handled and that the bottom-floor teachers are watched over. He also handles sporting events and schedules who works what, and who is where when.

“I’m looking forward to a long term job with the Big Spring Bulldogs. This is by far my favorite and I’m excited to be your new athletic director.”