Round tables garner different opinions

Meg Ronan, Reporter

From having a library cafe, to note taking on personal laptops, to students being involved in multiple clubs, Big Spring is beginning to function more like a college campus.  One additional way that the high school is moving more towards a university setting is with the introduction of round lunch tables in the cafeteria.  Michelle Morgan, Director of Chartwells here at Big Spring High School, said, “Using round tables will create a more collegiate feeling.  Sitting around a circular table will make people feel more together.  Also, the rectangular tables were too militaristic.  It felt like you were walking into a military base.” Obviously, Morgan feels that these new tables will have a huge positive impact on the cafeteria environment from now on.  Carly Auchey, however, is not convinced.  “I feel like the circular tables make cliques,” she said.  

Another concern from the students is that there will not be enough seats at lunches.  Caroline Horst said, “The other ones were better.  There was more room for people to sit with the old tables.”  According to high school janitorial staff, students should not worry about this though, as they assured reporters that there will be sufficient seating.  Even though the issue with seating seems to be under control, it still remains to be seen how the tables will be moved for the countless events held in the cafeteria, including dances, cheerleading practices, and banquets.  When questioned on the whether or not the new tables will make rearranging and clearing the cafeteria more difficult, Morgan said, “It’s really all about the kids.  The new tables may be a bit more difficult, but students are always willing to help.  I have organized banquets here before, but there were kids here who were willing to help move them.  The kids here are great, so it wouldn’t be that hard.”  In the end, she said she would rather have the kids have a better lunch experience than worry about how the tables will be moved.  

As the old tables are removed and moved to the middle school, one student disagrees with Morgan with the thought that round tables will make lunches better.  “We sat at the one round table that was in the lunchroom all last year.  Sitting there, we had to send friends away because there wasn’t enough room.  It really sucked,” said Jesse Keim.  Eventually, the cafeteria will be completely filled with round tables, and there will be no militaristic rectangular tables any longer.  Morgan was very eager in taking credit for the idea.  She said she presented the concept to Richard Fry, and he made it happen.  “Other schools have round tables and students there love them, so I thought it was something Big Spring needed,” said Morgan.  She also added that her personal philosophy helped drive the decision because, “Treat them like kids and they’ll be kids.  Treat them like adults and they’ll be adults.”