New policy requires AP test payment up front

Andrew Hickman, Reporter

AP courses allow students to show their academic abilities by taking college courses in high school, and most colleges will give the student a college credit for completing the course and passing the AP exam. However, a change in payment policy at Big Spring has caused some controversy about taking the AP exams. 

When a student signs up and takes an AP class, the student is required to take the A.P exam at the end of the course. If a student decides to not take the AP exam, the student does not receive the weighting of the class. This could drastically change the outcome of their final grade in the course. Starting in the 2016-2017 school year, there will be a slight adjustment to this policy. When a student is enrolled in an AP course, the student will have to pay the test fee up front at the beginning of the school year. If not, the student will be removed from the class and will not be permitted to take any other AP courses without getting permission from an administrator. A Paw Print reporter speaking to administration on this matter found out that the school feels as though taking an AP course has to include the exam, and that the school’s integrity is at stake if it puts an AP course on a student’s transcript.

Demi Smith, a sophomore who plans on taking AP courses next school year, said, “I am against the AP exam change because I plan to take multiple AP courses and the $100 fee per exam may limit me and how I will be able to push myself to try harder classes.” Lauren Hetrick, the AP European History teacher, said, “I grow concerned when driven or interested students don’t take the class simply because they’re forced to take the exam.” Another teacher Robert Hankes the AP Literature said, “I think that student should have to take the test if they want the multiplier.” He also said “Students should be required to take the exam because it’s part of learning at the AP level.”