Super big heroes make super big movies

Jaime Yaukey and Andrew Hickman

Huge superheroes are about to clash on the big screen this spring, and fans are either psyched or apprehensive about seeing the fates of their favorite comics brought to life. In one movie, it’s Superman vs Batman, and in the other, it’s Ironman vs Captain America.

“Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice” will pick up after Superman’s latest battle with Zod that devastated and destroyed Metropolis. Many citizens of Metropolis are feeling angry and helpless, convinced that Superman is now a threat to humanity. Bruce Wayne (Batman) sets out on a personal vendetta to end Clark Kent’s (Superman) reign on Earth. All the while, Superman’s nemesis Lex Luthor launches his own crusade against the Man of Steel (Superman). New heros and villains that will be appearing in the new movie include Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Robin, The Flash, Doomsday, and Cyborg.

During the premiere tomorrow, Batman and Superman will riot against each other in the DC World. Gavin Gensel, freshman, is on team Batman. “Batman’s just so much cooler than Superman.” Gensel said. Erinne Frampton, also a freshman, agrees.

However in “Captain America: Civil War”, the Avenger’s actions lead to collateral damage; the new policy divides a group of fellow superhero friends into two sides. On one side is Captain America who feels that superheroes should be allowed to remain free to defend humanity without government interference. On the other hand, Iron Man strongly disagrees and supports oversights. As the debate turns into an all out feud, Black Widow and Hawkeye must choose a side. New heroes as, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Falcon, The Winter Soldier, Vision, War Machine, Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, Crossbones, Baron Zemo, and Thunderbolt will all be making appearances in Civil War.

For “Captain America: Civil War”, Frampton and Gensel are on two different sides. “I’m with Ironman. Not only is his suit cool, but he’s really rich.” Gensel said, and Frampton expresses that she just “doesn’t agree with Ironman’s logic,” and sides with Captain America.

Blake Barrick, sophomore, is in the same boat as Gensel. Barrick and Gensel are on the same teams for both movies, and even favor the same superhero, Spider-Man. Barrick likes that Ironman is putting others before himself, which he usually doesn’t do. “Taking responsibility is a new trait to Tony Stark.” Barrick said. “Ironman will have my full support in the movie.” Barrick and Gensel have both been following the superhero world since they were young.

It seems that most of Big Spring High School’s students are fans of Marvel more than DC. According to Taylor Zimmerman, freshman, it’s because the storylines are more interesting. Barrick chimed in, adding that “DC often takes itself too seriously. It’s not supposed to be dark and brooding- it’s supposed to be a fun adventure.” Barrick said that he is going to go see “Civil War”, but he believes “Dawn of Justice” doesn’t deserve his money due to it being too serious and a mess. “I’m nervous that they won’t pay these incredible characters and stories justice.” Barrick said.

Overall, both “Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Captain America: Civil War” are going to have many supporters and fans when the two movies make an appearance on the screens. The first showing of “Dawn of Justice” in Carlisle’s Cinema 8 will be at 6:00 tonight, and “Civil War’s” first showing at Cinema 8 will be 12:00 A.M. on May 6.  This spring is guaranteed to leave a big mark in the world of superheroes.