Students experience a different Growler

Ashley Brehm, Reporter

Delicious pizza, hot dogs, hot sandwiches and quesadillas are just some of the newly included foods in the Growler. Last year, the Growler became a new addition to our library. It served cold drinks, coffee, snacks, and many more foods, but not many actual meals.

With the addition of wellness policies in the district in recent years, it might become confusing as to whether or not these meals are in compliance. According to the district website, Big Spring has wellness guidelines which relate to nutrition education, nutrition, food and beverage marketing, physical activity, physical education, and staff wellness.

Much of this confusion can be explained by Chartwell’s. Tammy Cunningham, one of their employees who works in the Growler, said, “I know that we do serve whole wheat snacks and breads, and our drinks are diet.”

Michelle Morgan, Big Spring’s food director, said, “All of the foods served in the Growler meet the limit for calories and fats in the Wellness Policy. It’s part of a government regulation plan.”

They have a nutritional database that they input what foods they are planning on serving, and it practically makes sure that the foods are good to serve under this regulation, and if they aren’t, they won’t serve the foods.

The new foods have not been the only confusing transition for the Growler this year.  There are new rules for students and staff that are important for the use of this area.

First, if a student comes to the Growler to buy or eat lunch, they must stay there. The same applies to the cafeteria. There can not be any transportation of food from one place to another during the lunch period.

“The rule’s purpose is for the safety of the students, and for the hassle of bringing foods or trays up and down the stairs.” said Denise Mancuso, high school librarian.

The library is also the location of a flex time and a club most days, so another possible concern for users is the lack of quiet space left in this area. Cunningham said that the area is usually monitored, so the students don’t become too loud.

In a memo to staff, Principal Bill August said, “Teachers assigned to the Growler over lunch and to the library duty for Dawg time share responsibility for supervising the library. Growler supervision should treat it as a lunch duty. The library duty should primarily stay at the check-out counter, take attendance for those there for Dawg Time, and provide supervision of the library area as well.” So the area is monitored by two teachers over the lunchtime period.

Mancuso said, “There is a certain section in the library for students who would like to study or read that is farther away from the Growler, and quieter.”

Many students come to the Grower during flex time and for lunch. They enjoy having the Growler as an addition to the school, so when they’re hungry they can grab some food and go, or they can come and enjoy time with their friends.