Nutquacker Suite brings competition

Kaylee Enck and Gabi Reifsnyder, Reporter

Every year, the Club C. A. R. E. members sell rubber duckies that come in all different designs to race in the Nutquacker Suite and benefit charity. Most people have heard of the Nutquaker Suite and know how it works. What is unknown, however, is how it became an ongoing battle between the members to sell the most rubber duckies the fastest.

The Nutquacker Suite may be new to the freshman, but it has been going on at Big Spring High School for at least seven years. Starting in early November, Club C.A.R.E. members are divided into groups of eight and pick different kinds of ducks to sell. The ducks are sold to students and staff who can either race a duck for $1, or race it and keep it for $2. The suite is held in the pool during flextime on Dec. 15. The winner of the race gets $30 and a portion of the proceeds will be given to Mini-THON.

The idea for a competition between the groups started started years ago by the Club C.A.R.E adviser Angela Schneider. Two Club C.A.R.E members, Lauren Gipe and Bailey Jones, really took it to the next level. The girls have had a friendly rivalry going on for several years about who sells the most ducks. With Gipe winning their sophomore year, and Jones winning their junior year, this year’s competition is a special tie-breaker for the two. Gipe said, “Everyone wants to beat Bailey, because she is really good, but I think I’m going to win this year.”

Not only is there a competition between the two girls, but it now has spread throughout the whole club. Ashlynn Gipe, also a Club C. A. R. E. member, said, “Each group tries really hard to sell all of their ducks first. Some even bribe the buyers with sweet treats. It’s great to see everyone’s participation and want to sell.” In addition, Schneider said, “We always thought that this rubber duck race for charity was just a fun idea, but it really didn’t become popular until we let the students compete.”

With the competitive selling going on in the club, there is some strategy that the groups use to get themselves an advantage. When the groups choose their ducks for the year, they focus on ones that they think will sell out quickly. Gipe said, “Usually the exotic ducks sell out.” Last year, the camouflage and superhero ducks were the favorites.

Some teachers, including Michael Berry, get very involved in this event as well. According to Gipe, Berry is the club’s main customer. Berry said that in the at least the past five years, he has spent quite a few dollars on ducks. He said, “I try to support all the clubs when possible, and it’s fun to support a cause and build a collection at the same time.” On regards to the competition within the club, Berry said, “It’s not as easy as it’s quacked up to be.”

The competition and the selling will end soon. Students can find Club C.A.R.E. members with their patterned bags and buy ducks up until Dec. 14.