NHS declares annual Easter egg hunt successful

Sarah Hood, Reporter

On April 8 from 10am – 11am, children and families were welcomed to the high school as the National Honor Society prepared to host its annual Easter egg hunt. Children up to 10 years old were invited to come and participate in the many activities that were held. There were three different age groups, 0-3 years, 4-6 years, and 7-10 years, so children were given plenty of opportunity for candy. NHS members gathered tons of Easter eggs and filled them with a variety of candy. Lauren Seiple, committee member said, “We had live bunnies for the kids to pet and we had the Easter bunny there too.” Seiple also said, “There was also fun things around the commons like face painting and coloring that children could do while they waited their turn to hunt for eggs. So, when their time came, they scrambled for eggs across the gymnasium. A few lucky kids found gold and silver prize eggs that were then turned in for a basket of goodies.”

This event was free to the community and NHS welcomed everyone who was available to come. Since this was a free event, there were no proceeds to donate. However, it benefited the children in the community by giving them an opportunity that they may not have at home. They came out to have a fun filled day and got to go home with tons of sweet treats. NHS members were also able to gain service hours.

In previous years, the egg hunt committee fell through and the NHS did not host it. However, last year they picked it back up and had to start from scratch. Due to last year’s seniors not having an egg hunt their junior year, they had no idea what to do; committee members were left scrambling for ideas and help from the advisers. This year, students knew exactly what to do as the seniors who were part of the egg hunt committee last year continued on with it this year. Through the weekly meetings and gatherings on their own time, committee members Bethany Baker, Lauren Seiple, Jenna Kurtz, Jenna Brobst, Nick Black, Lizzy Fry, Aly Roberts, and Sarah Hood, all worked hard to prepare the hunt.

Seiple said, “Our committee leader, Bethany Baker, made flyers and sent them out across the school district so that all of the kids in the elementary schools had the flyer with all of the information.” By doing this, the kids were able to take it home to their parents and notify them of the egg hunt. Members of the committee filled hundreds of eggs as they had hopes of a big turnout, which was eventually fufilled.