Concert band makes “A Solitary Wish”

The+autographed+score+to+A+Solitary+Wish+will+be+preformed+on+Dec+11+in+the+High+School+Auditorium.+

The autographed score to “A Solitary Wish” will be preformed on Dec 11 in the High School Auditorium.

Hannah Custer, Reporter

This year, students in the Big Spring High School concert band get a once in a lifetime opportunity to help make “A Solitary Wish” as they perform the world premiere of this song on Dec 11 in order to raise charitable donations for the homeless.  

“A Solitary Wish”, a song composed by Brian Balmages, is a meaningful piece that reflects his experience with a woman around Christmas.  In order to give back, Balmages set up a charity where all of the money raised from the piece goes to the homeless.  When this opportunity arose, Adam Nobile, band director, took immediate action. “This is a good opportunity for the band to do something for other people. “It shows that music actually has meaning.” said Nobile.

This piece of music actually gets to be known as a world premiere when it will be performed by the concert band for their winter concert.  “It’s not a published piece of music.” said Nobile.

“It’s a world premiere piece of music which means we are one of the first people to play it.”

Collectively, the concert band collected a total of $405.  Nobile could not be more pleased. “We needed $100 minimum, but now as the highest donor, we are listed as one of the consortium members and we also get to have a Skype clinic.”  Some people cannot believe that the band could raise that much money in such a short amount of time.  Erin Hurley, flutist, said, “I didn’t think that we could do it, but in the end, everything worked out and we raised a lot of money that will all go to a great cause.”  Clearly, the hard work of fundraising paid off for the students.  

The students have really been affected by this as well.  “I think it’s a really good thing that we have a song that is helping people,” said tuba player Gavin Hunt.  This is something that the concert band will certainly remember for the rest of their lives.  “It’s nice to be a part of something that can do good things for a good cause,” said French horn player, Dalton Eberts, “Overall, it’s pretty neat.”

Something like this has made a huge impact on the band.  “If there are opportunities that come along I think it’s definitely worth pursuing.” said Nobile.  “Hopefully, there will be more to come.”  

The concert band will be performing “A Solitary Wish” as part of their winter concert on Dec 11.