Helping hands reach out to community

Hailey Gilligan, Reporter

As the holidays approach, there are organizations encouraging everyone to donate to help those in need in the local community, but what many do not know is how many groups help out the local Newville community.

Some organizations are organized by the Big Spring School District, including the NHS Food Drive and Paw Packs.

The NHS Food Drive is held yearly at Big Spring High School. This year’s drive runs through today. The food from this drive goes to local families who are in need during the holiday season. Items being collected include canned goods, toiletries, pastas, and any other nonperishable food items.

Paw Packs is an organization that helps Big Spring families throughout the entire year. This organization send bags of food home with students who are in need to make sure that they have meals over the weekend. They also provide food for these children over the summer. Today’s Nutquacker Suite Race, hosted by Club CARE, is donating the proceeds to this organization.  “The students wanted to see their money help out their own community, and this is a perfect way to do that.” said adviser, Angela Schneider. 

Organizations that are organized by the community are the Big Spring Area Food Bank, Wrap Them in Warmth Coat Drive held by the Big Spring Dental Center, and Toys For Tots.

The Big Spring Area Food Bank distributes food on the last Monday of every month, except for May, November, and December, in these month food will be handed out on the Monday before each major holiday in that month.

The Wrap Them In Warmth Coat Drive, held by the Big Spring Dental Center, is a drive that collects coats, hats, gloves, and scarfs to be donated to the Big Spring Area Food Bank to be handed out at their next distribution date. Donations can be placed in the box on the porch of the Big Spring Dental Center through Dec 15. Coats and other items should be lightly worn and clean.

Toys For Tots is an organization that helps make a child’s Christmas better through the help of donated toys. Big Spring High School TEMPUS Club takes apart in the Toys For Tots by bringing in a donation box and advertising, asking students and faculty to donate. “TEMPUS has been involved with Toys For Tots for the past four years,” said Scott Anderson, TEMPUS Advisor. “I know I’m fortunate, my kids are fortunate, but I know there are children in our community who aren’t as lucky. That is why we got involved.”  Donations are being accepted at the school through Dec 13. Donations can be dropped off in the high school office.