Punishments are taken to new levels.

Where+bad+kids+serve+the+punishment.+

Where bad kids serve the punishment.

Averi Ward, Reporter

Consequences for actions can come in all different shapes and forms, such as detention, in-school suspension, and out of school suspension, but the question remains about the lessons learned from these consequences.  Cory Hoffman, the dean of students, said, “The consequences we give are not just for fun, but rather to teach students a lesson and so they can learn from their mistakes and get back on track to a better path.” For throwing a snowball on school property whether it is at the school, another student, or simply just to throw it, will result in two hours of after-school detention. This might sound ridiculous to some, but others may take the consequence harshly depending on the student.

Hoffman explained that, “The student and his/her attitude will be the variable of whether they actually learn from the mistakes they made from the consequences we give.”  Youth will have different points of views on the consequences they get. Some feel that community service or physical labor punishments would be a better option that allow for helping the environment and teaching for better behavior. Big Spring has also implemented  “Parole Under School”, which means if a student gets in trouble that is law related, instead of having a parole officer out of school, the student can have them come to school to check on you and mix it with school.

Garret Bilger, student, explained more into detail what “Parole Under School” means. “Every day I’m taken for 2 hours after school and do two hours of work until completed,” said Bilger. This is one of many things that can happen for deep punishments, but is served by the school to give students a chance to stay in school and get their work done so they can keep on a good path.

Bilger said, “I had 3 days of ISS and 5 days bus suspension. I kind of did learn my lesson, but at the same time I didn’t, although the punishments are fair.”

Another student, Jesse Golden, a student who, has been punished in the past, said, “Kids won’t learn their lessons from the punishments. I has to be he kids themselves. I don’t think that “Parole Under School” will help at all with learning lessons.”