First annual race to celebrate Finkenbinder’s life

Austin Bryner, Reporter

Earlier this year, the entire Big Spring School District lost a good person in sophomore Britton Finkenbinder, so to honor his memory, there will be an annual memorial race taking place. Social studies teacher and wrestling coach, Nate Gutshall, said, “Britton had such a great, positive attitude. He also had a smile that could light up a room. He was a great young man.” Many students of Big Spring are excited to celebrate Finkenbinder’s life.  “I feel this event is very important because it allows us to celebrate his life with activities and hobbies that he loved to do.” said Sophomore Austin Long.

The race will be taking place on May 25, 2019 at Path Valley Speedway in Spring Run PA. It will be a general admission of $11 or $5 with a valid student ID. This is the current schedule for the event: At 1 PM the pit gates will open. Then at 2 PM it will be general admission. After that from 3-5 PM there will be a celebration of life for Finkenbinder. “I am sure it will be awesome! Britton touched so many people’s lives here at Big Spring and also in the racing community.” said Gutshall. Also The Colt Wilbur Band will be playing live music from 3-5 PM. At 6 PM there will be warm-ups for the race. The race will then start at 7 PM. Due to Finkenbinder’s number when racing being 17, there will be a 17 lap qualifying heat to see where each driver will start the race. The race will be 40 laps. When buying a ticket, one dollar from each ticket sold will go towards the A.F.S.P., or  American Foundation of Suicide Prevention.

The American Foundation of Suicide Prevention is a foundation in which helps raise awareness of the topic of suicide. Long also said, “Yes, I do think that this event will help more people become more aware of suicide, and this will help promote the message of suicide prevention to help others in need.” It also helps fund scientific research to see what might cause someone to do it. A.F.S.P. also helps to provide resources and aid those who were affected by suicide. The mission that the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention is to try and help prevent more suicides.