• August 23Follow us on Facebook (bshsnewsroom) and on Twitter (@bshsch3) and email us at newsroom@bigspringsd.org

Nike “just does it” alongside Colin Kaepernick

Back to Article
Back to Article

Big Spring student wears popular Nike apparel. These are the types of socks and shoes that angry Nike customers are destroying.

Kennedy Sheriff, Reporter

Recently, Nike has been under attack for their 30 year anniversary campaign released on Sept. 5 featuring Colin Kaepernick, the free agent quarterback who used to play for the San Francisco 49ers. Kaepernick knelt during the playing of the National Anthem during a game in 2016. Some disagreed though, and thought that Kaepernick’s choice was disrespectful, and it was, and still is a hugely controversial topic throughout the public.

People have started cutting the symbols off of socks, burning their sneakers, and even banning Nike products from entire New Orleans suburbs. The #boycottnike is going viral on Twitter and other social medias.

“Nike products are just too expensive to be destroyed; donate your stuff to others if you really don’t want it anymore,” said freshman, Amanda Blount. That’s exactly what people are urging others to do. This includes a St. Louis YMCA leader, who urges on Twitter for people to send their now unwanted Nike stuff to the YMCA for children in need.

“I think Nike went in thinking that it would draw attention and help their brand and it almost backfired, since people are still destroying their stuff. I’d keep what I have and if I had a problem with Nike, I just wouldn’t buy their stuff anymore,” said Makhyla Hockley, also a freshman. Although this is still happening, it turned out to be an effective business decision for Nike, pushing their online sales up 31%. Laylah Chestnut, sixth grader, said, “I think it was a good idea for Nike to pick something that made so many people mad. I mean obviously it worked out for them.”

“I feel that the Kaepernick issue will be controversial for many years to come, but the Nike issue and disliking Nike will be short lived, and the hype surrounding it will disappear soon,” said Karla Sheriff, Big Spring Alumni, and current Big Spring parent.